Grandparents Apart UK

Grandparents Apart UK
"Bringing Families Together"

Thursday, December 3, 2009

‘A Living Bereavement’

A granny called me recently in a terrible state. She had just met her daughter-in-law and grandson aged 5 as she was shopping in the town. She had not seen him for a couple of weeks as her son and daughter-in-law had an argument. I kept out of the quarrel but I never knew they had split up, I just thought it would blow over”

The wee boy broke free from his mother and ran up to her shouting “granny, granny” and flung himself into her arms saying “I miss you granny, why do you not come to see me any more” The granny said “ I held back the tears and looked at my daughter-in-law’s face but she was very grim as she pulled him away. As they left she turned back and spat out to me” “you will never see him again.” I was devastated - what had I done?”.

Our life with our grandson was just about every day and I babysat for them whenever they needed me and watched him regularly to give her time to herself. I love my daughter-in-law and grandson to bits and he adores me. I don’t understand why she is taking it out on me and her own son because she has fallen out with my son”

“I feel as if I’ve lost him forever like a death in my family. The pain I feel is terrible and I need to speak to someone, I just want to die” My heart felt for her immediately because the pain we felt was also agonising and still is when we hear a granny’s broken hearted plea.. I listened to her for ages but there was no consoling her. “What am I to do” she kept saying, sobbing uncontrollably, “my wee grandson will be broken hearted, he’ll be missing me?” it will take a while for the initial shock to subside before we can speak to her.

It is all to common nowadays that children are used in this way to get revenge. Taking it out on a granny who was not even involved and was always there for them. It beggars belief how people can do this to their own child for at the end of the day it is the children who lose out.

We need to put a full stop to this abuse of children for revenge and the heartbreak of grandparents who only want the best for them.

Contact your Member of Parliament and Local Authority Councillor of which country you live in and tell them to raise this in parliament. Grandparents need The Charter for Grandchildren to put an end to this madness.

Jimmy Deuchars
Grandparents Apart UK
22 Alness Crescent
Glasgow G52 1PJ
0141 882 5658

No comments:

Post a Comment